I had the pleasure of joining Tyson on his podcast to talk about my favourite topic; Pain Management! It was a great discussion where we covered heaps of topics including:
– The paradigm shift and changing the ways we think about not only our failures but also our successes.
– Reductionism & Complexity
– Guided problem solving: why different problems can be managed successfully in many ways
– Having more treatment options make us better.
– Pain Management and managing athletes.
– Patient beliefs and previous experiences will determine their behaviours.
– The long-term benefits of understanding and listening to your patient’s goals and how to encourage them back into their activity
My big tip from the episode is:
Listen: You need to listen before you begin to educate your patient. If you listen, you’ll know everything that you need to address. You’ll know what the patient’s goal is, and you can take that information and apply it to them.
With listening, we’ll know what they’re looking for, expecting, and what makes them fearful. Only then can we can reassure our patients.
Reflective Listening: Reflect what they’re saying, so they can either correct us or agree with us. There needs to be a sense of collaboration.